Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Upon vs. Apon

I can never remember how to spell this word. I'm always getting dinged by spell checker. Turns out the correct spelling is "upon." Let's see if I remember this tomorrow. It turns out that in Middle English the spelling was "apon," which may be where the confusion started in my childhood. I actually think we should write apon, otherwise we should change the spelling of a million other words for consistency. Like, we write "a lot" rather than "u lot." Or "agressive" rather than "ugressive." Or "anonymous" rather than "unonymous." Or "attractive" rather than "uttractive." Or "anderstanding" rather than "understanding."

1 comment:

  1. It never occurred to me before that that was weird... hahaha! but seriously tchovi, if you're looking for logic in english spelling you're going to be looking for a long time...

    ReplyDelete