Friday, August 14, 2009

Tamal vs. Tamale

I was at the airport in LAX and I needed something to eat. There was a Mexican restaurant so I ate there, since I don't get Mexican food that often. I looked at their menu and decided to order their "tamale and enchilada" combo, when I realized that tamale is not the correct Spanish word. It should be spelled "tamal." Of course, I knew the Mexican servers at the counter knew this. So when ordering the food, I couldn't decide whether to say "tamale" or "tamal." On the one hand, tamal is correct, but on the other hand maybe I shouldn't be pretending to speak Spanish, and recognize the correct English translation as "tamale." In the end I asked for tamale, since I didn't want to act like a know-it-all. What do u think, my loyal readers, did I do the right thing?

2 comments:

  1. I think that you did the right thing... however, I asked mama- and she says you should have tried to communicate in their native tongue and further expressed your disgust with american culture which so pollutes other languages!!! Baifan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does mama think we should call rice baifan in English? Perhaps we should also use the Chinese name for chicken, which also originated from China.

    ReplyDelete